Ever since I can remember, I have always been interested in the news, which is probably why I became a publicist in the first place. I can remember as a young girl staying up late watching the nightly broadcast with my Dad and becoming infatuated with knowing all I could about the world around me.
As I’ve grown, my life has been consumed with a full time career and personal life. It’s a lot harder to keep up. As a publicist, we are SO immersed in the news each and every day for our own clients that sometimes we get a little tunnel vision and miss the big picture stories. We’re so busy with crafting this pitch and distributing that release, many times we forget to ‘stop and smell the roses’ so to speak.
For my generation –the beloved millennial – we have found unique, faster ways to get our news and info. The World Wide Web helps of course, but we need strictly just the highlights. Not to say that our attention span is shorter, but we certainly like info instantly, concise and in the least confusing way as possible.
For me, I love a good newsletter, especially when it’s sent directly to my inbox. Here are my top 5 email newsletters I subscribe to as a ways to keep up with the times:
- This has to be one of my favorite newsletters. I read it religiously EVERY morning. A good friend of mine in the PR world introduced me, and I’ll never turn back. I hate to say it this way, but theSkimm certainly ‘dumbs down’ the news so it’s a lot easier for people like me to understand. All that political jargon can get confusing, but that doesn’t mean you should ignore it. TheSkimm covers everything, from who won the Big Game to what bill was recently signed, so there’s something for everyone. They email you once every morning, Monday through Friday, and tell you all the highlights you missed (you know, because you’ve been in client meetings all day). Plus, it makes you sound super smart around the water cooler at work. Win-win!
- Need 2 Know
- Another great daily newsletter that is sent straight to your inbox! It literally highlights the top 10ish stories (I say that because sometimes there are more than 10) that you absolutely need to know that happened that day. It gives you the bullet points, while of course, sneaking in some snarky posts with a side of sass. I love myself a good zinger and if you do, too., then this is the newsletter for you.
- Created and written by Dave Pell, who encourages you to follow him on Twitter as soon as you sign up, NextDraft gives you a daily dose of all most interesting content that has hit the web that day. Another ‘top ten’ kind of deal, his emails are minimal, so they keep you engaged while giving you all the facts you need to know. He even includes a share buttons throughout his stories, so you can Tweet and post on FB all day long showing all your followers and friends how intelligent you really are. What more could you want?
- PR Couture
- For my days as a fashion publicist, this is one of my favorite weekly newsletters. They offer helpful and useful insider tips and tricks for publicists in the fashion world and publish other insightful industry related news. At the end of the workweek, they give you Fashion Fridays, like this one, that gives you all highlights of fashion, tech, PR and social media. This newsletter certainly satisfies my inner fashionista.
- PR Daily
- Last, but certainly not least, if you aren’t received PR Daily in your inbox, are you even really a publicist? It’s good to know all the events happening in the world, but it’s even better to keep up with all the events happening in the PR world. PR Daily gives you news, advice, and opinions that relate to the PR industry.
Hopefully I have inspired you at least a smidge to go out and subscribe to a couple of these newsletters. After all, as a publicist, we are paid to know it all. Ciao!
Submitted by Kayla Agnello