I am a big believer in dressing for the job you want. It may seem superficial, but your attire speaks volumes about who you are and where you want to go. In a recent New York Times article, Carl Richards states “The way we dress affects the way we feel. And the way we feel affects our ability to get stuff done and influence people.” Still not convinced? Take it from Forbes and Fortune – whether we like it or not, people judge us first by how we look. So why not look like you are ready for that promotion?
When it comes to workplace attire, make your mark. Don’t be afraid to express yourself! Being a publicist at a progressive agency, I have the luxury of not having to succumb to pantsuits and kitten heels. I like to tailor each outfit to what I have planned for the day. Whether it is for a lunch meeting with a client, a media event at a nightclub or even everyday office attire, I dress the part- but with my own flair.
With some research (& my love for online shopping 😉) here are some tips for dressing for the #BossBabe that you are.
- Staple Pieces
Trends come and go but having a few staple pieces in your work wardrobe is a must. In my opinion, you can never go wrong with a nice pair of black pants, a simple blouse, a statement belt and a cute pair of heels.
- My go-to black jeans are the Jamie Jean from Topshop (For all my fellow lengthy girls out there, these come in a tall fit- LIFESAVER!)
- While REVOLVE can be on the pricier side.. a quality classic blouse is a practical investment. I love this simple white button down from Theory.
- Add your own flair with a statement belt. Free People is my go-to belt shop. They always have a variety of belts that I can choose from depending on my mood. From sleek and classy to boho-chic.
- You want your shoes to be quality, affordable and versatile. Steve Madden literally has a Women’s Essentials tab on his website complete with flats, heels and everything in between. And trust me, these have longevity. Seriously, I still wear my nude heels I purchased for junior prom in 2012…
- Workwear, but make it fashion
Now that we have the basics covered, don’t be afraid to have some fun. Workwear does not have to be bland! So many of my favorite websites have a section dedicated to trendy #GirlBoss wear, like Lulus, REVOLVE and ASOS.
- Two-piece sets are the move right now. I love finding a short and blazer set. With a hot Vegas summer right around the corner, it is so tough to find work-appropriate shorts. I love this combo from Forever 21. Cute & affordable!
- Remember when you looked back on pictures of yourself in that neon pink zebra-print shirt from Justice and thought “Ugh I am so glad that trend is in the past”? Well… it’s back with a vengeance. Animal prints and neon accents are in right now. I love this chic orange and navy cheetah print blouse from Lulus. Perfect with a navy slack and heel!
- I am a huge fan of the blazers trend! So flattering, professional and can be dressed up or down. I love this pink plaid blazer dress from Nasty Gal.
Let’s be honest, no one gets up every single day and is motivated to put on a full face of makeup, curl their hair, dress to the nines and still have time to grab a Starbucks on the way to work. It just isn’t reality! For those days when your calendar is clear and you can only muster up the energy for dry shampoo and chapstick, there are options to be comfy and still look the part at work.
- Who says blue jeans aren’t for the office? I love the ankle detail on these Cotton Citizen jeans from REVOLVE. It’s in the details people!
- Dresses, rompers and jumpsuits are one-and-done decisions! Sabo Skirt is one of my favorite sites with a variety of unique pieces that can be dressed up or down.
- I am a huge advocate of the idea of a white sneaker can totally tie together an outfit. Pairing a pair of crisp Nike Air Force 1’s with a flowy dress can take the outfit from formal to casual in a fun and youthful way.
It is not about out dressing everyone, but rather dressing your best. Wear what makes you feel beautiful and confident! It will radiate and influence any room you walk into, helping your career blossom.